Preventing Covid-19 Can A Supplement Really Help?:
Until a cure arrives, most of us are looking for anything we can do to stay healthy,
Because one of the scariest things a person can do is to be in the middle of a pandemic without a vaccine.
Especially given how easily the virus droplets can get to you.
So we’ve previously talked about how to prevent COVID-19 with masks & behavior,
But other than behavioral-changes, is there anything else you can do? A Boston University team would say yes…
The Short Answer:
- Being in a pandemic with no vaccine is terrifying.
- Asymptomatic Carriers and scofflaws hurt us all.
- We need to do everything we can to protect ourselves from COVID-19 infection.
- It’s easy to have a vitamin-deficiency and not know it.
- 50% of Americans are deficient in Vitamin D between September and March.
- Any person’s risk of being infected by coronavirus is double if they’re deficient in Vitamin D.
- If someone has sufficient levels of that vitamin, their risk of death goes down by 1/2.
- Fall and Winter are prime-time for viral respiratory infections.
- Someone infected with both The Flu and COVID-19 is twice as likely to die vs. someone infected only with one of them.
- Vitamin D protects against many things not limited to COVID-19.
- Without a vaccine, now is a great time to find there is at least something we can take to help.
Read on to find out the details…
→ Show/Hide Table Of Contents ←
So the coronavirus pandemic has brought along with it several problems.
Especially those that involve people who refuse to make the behavioral changes we just mentioned.
Those people coupled with the Asymptomatic Carriers,
Who spread the disease because they don’t think they have it, can put a lot of us at-risk.
So naturally, you want to take every precaution you can to protect yourself.
Unfortunately, this pandemic is yet another great reminder that there is of a lot of BS in the health-information space.
Including sources like our own president, who had been touting the now tested & failed Hydroxycholoroquine as a fix.
Lucky for us, there are still a few Scientists kicking around.
And they take the ideas or hypotheses and put them to the test.
So one of the problems that an average person can have that’s the most insidious,
Is one that person does not know about.
And that is particularly true this year for Vitamin-Deficiencies.
The one that really matters this time? Vitamin D.
That’s because about 50% of Americans are deficient in it; especially in the winter months after it peaks in August-September,
The reason why that’s a problem this year comes from a double-edged sword science just discovered.
In two studies the Boston University team led by Dr. Michael Holick found some interesting things about that vitamin.
In the earlier study on almost 200,000 blood-samples from across the entire country,
They found that if someone is deficient in Vitamin D, their risk of becoming infected with COVID-19 is about double.
This represents a concentration of less than 30nanograms/liter of the indicator in someone’s blood.
So that means 50% of Americans are running a greater risk of catching the disease, solely based on their diet, supplementation, and sun-exposure regimen alone.
In a follow-up study on just over 200 subjects who already had the disease, the team found something even more impressive.
Even if someone did become infected with COVID-19, they were Half as likely to die from it if they had enough Vitamin D.
Now we’ve talked previously about a potential Second Wave for Covid-19 based on a possible mutation of the virus,
Similar to what happened in 1918 with the flu when there was also a lack of social-distancing,
And that virus mutated into a MUCH more deadly strain as it moved around the world between soldiers fighting World War I.
Well there are several factors that might make 2020 nearly as-bad:
1) Most people don’t know they’re deficient in Vitamin D.
2) Fall and Winter are the prime times for people to become deficient.
2a) This is due to reduced sunlight and also more time spent indoors away from it.
3) Fall and Winter are also the optimal time for COVID-19 to spread due to dryer air and colder temperatures.
4) For this reason, those seasons are the optimal time for The Flu to spread also.
5) Not to mention the irritation that excessive coughing from any cold may inflict on your lungs, too.
The evidence for that big double-whammy comes from a British study by Public Health Of England that shows early evidence of The Perfect Storm of these diseases.
That team found that if someone catches The Flu and also COVID-19 at the same time,
They are 2x as likely to die as someone who is only infected with one of those diseases.
That subject would also be 600% more likely to die than someone who is not infected with either.
One more thing.
Doctor Holick’s team found out some other good news that should help us all through this perfect storm.
People with adequate levels of Vitamin D in their blood were protected against many kinds of problems with their lungs.
Specifically, that means different kinds of upper-respiratory infections,
Including, but not limited to just The Flu.
Also, The elevated levels of C-Reactive Protein that indicate Inflammation,
And the “Cytokine Storm” of excessive proteins being released into the blood as the body’s exaggerated response to COVID-19,
Were both reduced if the subject in-question had adequate levels of Vitamin D when tested.
So there you have it. There is in-fact a science-supported supplement you can take to improve both your health,
Your immune system function, and also your ability to fight off all different kinds of threats that might be coming your way this Fall and Winter.
Just remember that there are limits and taking more than the recommended amount does not make you more immune to either of the 2 viruses.
And thank God the research has come in just before the really cold & dry seasons.
All this goes without saying that 2020 is probably a very good year to finally get vaccinated for a virus that you can prevent; ie: The Flu.
Because until we get a cure for COVID-19, this might just be the best time in recent history to get some good information on something you can do to protect your health! -And all from just a little bit more Vitamin D.
• Sources: BU-Low Vitamin D + Covid | BU-Adequate Vitamin D + Covid
• More Coverage: NIH – US RDA & Facts on Vitamin D
• Source Studies:
• PlosOne – SARS-CoV-2 positivity rates associated with circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels
• PlosOne – Vitamin D sufficiency, a serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D at least 30 ng/mL reduced risk for adverse clinical outcomes in patients with COVID-19 infection
• BMJ – Covid-19: Risk of death more than doubled in people who also had flu, English data show