Pump-Up Your Chances Of Success With Fitness Knowledge!:
Prepping-up to get back in-shape after some yearly-reflection? Well you’re in luck.
Earlier, John Green put out a video on the why of High US Healthcare-Costs that is absolutely Must-See.
Now he’s back over at Mental Floss with another great list-show.
And checking out this list of facts about exercise just might give you that extra information-push to better reach your goals…
Here Are 15 Of The Best Points In The Show:
2) Exercise has the same benefits regardless of Time Of Day. Interestingly, 45% of people surveyed thought Morning was the best time.
3) Get your mind right! In a 2013 Study from John Carroll University, researchers found most subjects were likely to exercise when in neutral mood, as opposed to when they were overly happy or sad.
7) According to a CDC report, College Grads are 300% more likely to exercise as adults than high school dropouts.
9) You enjoy physical activity more when you’re with a friend. In a 2013 study of 117 subjects aged 27-73, 80% of which did some activity, Researchers found them more likely to report happiness exercising if they were with a friend, spouse, or coworker.
11) Beet Juice can increase muscle power. In a small study from Washington U. on 9 heart-failure patients, 1cup of beet juice gave them a 13% increase in muscle power.
12) You probably don’t need any dietary supplements! According to a study on 1,000 gym members published in the Journal “Nutrition” from 2010, researchers concluded somehow that the average gym-rat doesn’t need all that extra protein. -Blasphemy, I know!
14) Visualization might add in muscle strengthening. In 2014 a study was done on a group of people in rigid arm casts. Half were asked to Imagine regularly contracting & relaxing their wrists. After the casts were taken off, that group had lost much less strength compared to the non-imaginers.
15) A mid-2000s study by Harvard found a surprising Link between Exercise, the Mind, and Metabolism. Researchers met with housekeepers and told some how many calories they burned every day. After returning to check their progress, they found those who were told had a 10% lower blood-pressure, lower weight, & lower Wasit-to-Hip-Ratio.
-If you want to try bringing this mystical effect into your own life, try calculating how much you burn over at WebMD’s Fit-O-Meter
16) Rest Days are important. Taking a day off every once in awhile lessens fatigue, increases strength, and restocks depleted muscle-fueling glycogen stores.
18) Exercising Regularly seems to extend life. One study showed people who exercised for 450 minutes/week were 39% less likely to die prematurely vs. non-exercisers.
19) Exercise Reduces C-Reactive Protein, which is an indication of Inflammation. Inflammation makes us more susceptible to many ailments, including cardiovascular disease.
21) Working out might also make you smarter. In a 2009 study, subjects aged 50 and older were put through a 6 month exercise program. They ended up doing significantly better on intelligence tests than the control group that wasn’t put on the program.
22) This is true even for younger people. In the late 2000s, Saginaw Valley State U. conducted a study on Exercise & Good Grades on 266 undergrads. They found vigorous regular exercise was correlated with better GPAs, even after controlling for other factors.
23) Exercise helps people experience less Sadness. In a 2015 study young people were found to experience less sadness if they exercised regularly. 25% of those who worked-out 6-7x a week reported being sad for 2 or more weeks. 35.7% of the people who only worked-out 0-1x/week experienced the same duration of sadness.
24) Exercise increases Willpower. People who need to push through something they don’t want to do or that is difficult have been found more successful at it if they exercise. This may be due to improvements in the brain’s Pre-Frontal-Cortex or impulse-control center.
JUMP BONUS!: 10 More From Right Here At HT!:
1) More isn’t always better. A recent Danish Study showed that people who exercised 30 minutes a day burned slightly more calories & lost the exact same amount of weight as people who exercised 60. Link
2) Exercising too much can actually be detrimental. Especially running. Link
3) Get out there & do it before excess weight affects your Brain too much. Because supposedly, being fat also makes you dumber. Link
4) Your BMI is probably not the end-all be-all measure, but you can calculate yours here & compare it to the rest of the world. Link
5) The ability to walk at least 2 miles an hour into old age turns out to be a surprisingly-accurate indicator of longevity. Link
6) Another reason to get out there & get moving any way you can? -Yes, Sitting for hours every day at your modern office job IS killing you. Link
7) According to badass doctor, Mike Evans, Regular Physical activity can help with basically All of the problems, including Anxiety & Depression. Link
8) Having a protein shake with some simple carbs in it after exercise can help your muscles recover and increase the amount & speed of your strength gains. Link
9) The best hoax study in the history of the world states that for men, looking at women’s breasts has effects equivalent to cardiovascular exercise. Link
10) According to many sources, joining a gym may be just no fun. -And dirty. -And a finanical drain. -That’s nearly impossible to get out of. Link
JUMP BONUS 2: +1 More!:
11) And one last one against exercise. Nutrition is much more important for losing both fat and weight than exercise. Link
Video “25 Facts about Fitness”, by The Good People At Mental Floss
Photo, “Rainbow Run”, by Dave Meier
• Source: YT-Mental Floss
Leave a Reply